Electric Circuit Symbols and Definitions for Beginners
Understanding electrical symbols in a circuit diagram can be a daunting task. Although the shapes of symbols may vary, the meanings can remain the same. Understanding what these symbols represent will help you understand the working of any electric circuit. This article will give an overview of the main symbols and definitions of electrical circuits to get you up and running.
Common Electric Circuit Symbols
The most commonly used shapes representing electric circuit symbols are:
- Voltage Source - This is a source of electrical energy, which can either be a fixed or variable voltage source. Examples include batteries and generators.
- Switch – This symbol represents a switch that can be on or off.
- Resistor – A resistor will allow wattage or current to pass through it depending on its resistance value. An example would be a light bulb.
- Inductor – This is a coil of wire that stores an electrical charge.
- Capacitor – This is a device used to store electrical charges.
Definitions of Electric Circuit Symbols
The definition of each symbol is as follows:
|Voltage Source||A source of electrical energy, which can either be a fixed or variable voltage source.||Batteries and generator.|
|Switch||A device used to open or close a circuit.||Light switch.|
|Resistor||A device used to restrict electric current.||Light bulb.|
|Inductor||A coil of wire that stores an electrical charge.||Transformer.|
|Capacitor||A device used to store electrical charges.||Electrolytic capacitor.|
Applications of Electrical Circuit Symbols
Electrical circuit symbols have various additional applications related to the functioning of any electric circuit. Some of these are:
- Schematics – This is the graphical representation of a circuit design.
- Diagrams – This is a visual representation of a system—such as a wiring diagram for a home.
- Simulation – This is the use of a computer program to simulate the behavior of an electric circuit.
- Technical drawing – This is a two-dimensional drawing that includes all the elements needed to understand an electric circuit.
In conclusion, understanding electric circuit symbols and definitions helps you to better understand how electric circuits work. With this knowledge, you can create and operate more complex electrical circuits.
Electrical Symbols For Other Pilot Devices
Electrical Symbols Diagram
Electrical Symbols Circuit For Kids Dk Find Out
Basic Schematic Symbols Electronics And Electrical
Electrical Circuit And Wiring Basics For Homeowners
Electronic Components Symbols Reading And Understanding Various
Electrical And Electronics Symboleanings Edrawmax Online
What Is The Meaning Of Schematic Diagram Sierra Circuits
Svg Circuit Symbol Library Mightyohm
Units Symbols For Electrical Electronic Engineers
How To Read A Schematic Learn Sparkfun Com
Electronic Circuit Symbols Their Notation Reference Designators
Ss Electric Circuits And Symbols Mini Physics Learn
Electrical Symbols Try Our Symbol Softe Free
Electrical Schematic Symbols Names And Identifications
Circuit Diagram And Its Components Explanation With Symbols
Electronic Circuit Diagram Symbols Barrons Dictionary Allbusiness Com